Appleberry mulled wine
- 2 x 75cl bottles red wine (such as Merlot; better quality wine makes all the difference)
- 1l good-quality cloudy apple juice
- 115g caster sugar
- 1 long cinnamon stick, snapped in half
- 2 star anise
- 3 tbsp orange Curaçao or Cointreau
- a handful or so (about 100g/4oz) frozen mulled fruit or fruits of the forest or Black Forest fruits
- 3 small red-skinned apples, sliced into rings
- Pour the wine and apple juice into a large saucepan and add the sugar, cinnamon stick and star anise. Heat gently, stirring once or twice, until the sugar has dissolved, then continue heating gently for another 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, swirl in the Curaçao or Cointreau, throw in the frozen fruits and add the apple slices.