Chocolate fairy cakes
- For the sponge
- 4 free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz sugar
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 225g/8oz butter, melted
- For the chocolate buttercream icing
- 110g/4oz butter, softened
- 170g/6oz icing sugar
- 55g/2oz cocoa powder, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- To decorate
- white chocolate buttons
- milk chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and lin 2 x 12-hole fairy cake tins with paper cases.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Carefully fold in the flour and butter.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the paper cases.
- Bake the cakes for 15-20 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the tin.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar, cocoa powder and one tablespoon of the milk and beat until creamy. Beat in more milk if necessary to loosen the icing.
- Once the cakes are cool, spread the buttercream icing on top of the cakes.
- Decorate the cakes with the chocolate buttons.