Homemade beer mustard
- 175g/6oz yellow mustard seeds
- 175g/6oz black mustard seeds
- 500ml/18fl oz beer or ale
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- pinch crushed chilli flakes
- 175ml/6fl oz cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp ground mace or nutmeg
- Mix the mustard seeds and beer together in bowl, cover and set aside overnight. (The mustard seeds will soften and soak up most of the beer.)
- Sterilise the jars for the mustard. Wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Place the jars upside down on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, then blend in a food processor until nearly smooth (you may need to do this is batches).
- Spoon the mustard into the sterilised jars; tap gently to remove all the air bubbles.