- 290ml/10fl oz milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways or tsp good quality vanilla essence
- 2 egg, yolks only
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Heat the milk with the vanilla pod and allow to just come to the boil. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar.
- Pour the hot milk over the egg yolks whisking vigorously. When completely mixed in, return to the pan.
- Stir over a low heat until the mixture thickens sufficiently to coat the back of a spoon. This will take 5-6 minutes.
- Drain into a bowl, remove vanilla pod (or add essence if using).