Slim Deviled Eggs
Lighten up everyone’s favorite potluck delicacy with this sinfully delicious deviled egg. See the April/May 2012 issue of Healthy Cooking magazine for 11 tasty variations. —Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
- Prep/Total Time: 20 min.
- Yield: 12 Servings
6 hard-cooked eggs
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks; set aside egg whites and four yolks (discard remaining yolks or save for another use).
- In a large bowl, mash reserved yolks. Stir in the mayonnaise, garlic powder, mustard, salt and pepper. Stuff or pipe into egg whites; sprinkle with paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 1 dozen.
Make filling as directed. Curry: Stir in 2 tablespoons hummus, 3/4 teaspoon curry powder and dash cayenne pepper. Garnish with garbanzo beans.
- Crab Cake: Stir in 2 tablespoons crabmeat, 1 tablespoon finely chopped red pepper, 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish, 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium seafood seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon celery seed. Garnish with additional chopped red pepper.
- Bloody Mary: Stir in 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tomato juice, 3/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish and 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Garnish with 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon. Herb: Stir in 2 teaspoons minced chives, 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes and 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon. Garnish with dill sprigs.
- Italian: Stir in 1/4 teaspoon dried basil and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano. Garnish with 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Asian: Stir in 1/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot and 1/8 teaspoon sriracha Asian hot chili sauce. Garnish with minced fresh cilantro.
- Mexican: Stir in 1 tablespoon salsa, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin. Garnish with fresh jalapeno slices.
- Greek: Stir in 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. Garnish with halved Greek olives.
- Buffalo: Stir in 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery and 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce. Garnish with celery leaves.
- Chutney: Stir in 2 tablespoons mango chutney and 1 tablespoon chopped green onion. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons finely chopped cashews.
- Guacamole: Stir in 2 tablespoons mashed avocado, 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel and 1/2 teaspoon lime juice. Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes.
Nutritional Facts 1 stuffed egg half equals 40 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Originally published as Slim Deviled Eggs in
April/May 2012, p9