Slow cooker split pea dal
- 300g/10½oz yellow split peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g/7oz chopped tomatoes (from a tin or fresh)
- thumb of fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp crushed finely in a mortar
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, one crushed, one thinly sliced
- 10 freeze-dried curry leaves
- 700ml/1¼ pts hot vegetable stock
- 1 hot green finger chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the split peas, onion, tomatoes, ginger, ground cumin, turmeric, crushed garlic, curry leaves and stock into a slow cooker. Add most of the chilli and stir to combine. Cook on high for four hours, until the split peas are tender.
- Season the dal generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Just before serving, heat the oil in a saucepan. When the oil is very hot, add the whole cumin seeds and the sliced garlic. Fry until the garlic is golden-brown and the cumin smells toasty and almost smoky. Spoon the hot spiced oil over the dhal, scatter with the remaining green chilli, then serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.