Spinach, aubergine and chickpea curry
- 1kg/2¼lb fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 200g/7oz tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 fresh hot green chillies, halved and thinly sliced, seeds included
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 large aubergine, approx. 400g/14oz,cut into 2cm (3/4in) dice
- 400g/14oz tinned chopped tomatoes
- Cook the spinach in boiling water for two minutes, then cool it under cold running water and squeeze gently to remove most of the liquid. Place in a food processor and chop the spinach to a coarse purée.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion, chickpeas, garlic, chilli and spices for five minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the aubergine. Cook for ten minutes, stirring often, until the aubergine is coloured.
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt, then cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the aubergine is soft. Stir in the spinach purée and serve.