This has a kick, but won’t blow your head off, and goes well with any selection of cold cuts of meat
- 8 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 10 red chillies, roughly chopped
- finger-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 750g golden caster sugar
- 250ml red wine vinegar
- Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whizz until very finely chopped. Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava. Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely. Keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate once opened.