- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Marmite
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 litre vegetable stock, preferably organic
Peel the onions, then roughly chop along with the carrots and celery. Add to a large pan over a medium heat with a splash of olive oil and the herbs. Fry for around 15 minutes, or until turning golden.
Add the sugar and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised. Stir in the flour, then add the Marmite, tomato purée and vinegar. Pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for around 10 minutes, or until thickened and reduced. Pass it through a sieve into another large pan, using a spoon to squeeze out all those lovely flavours. Serve with vegan nut roast.